MANGO SHRIKHAND / AMRAKHAND
Shrikhand is a popular Indian dessert made with hung curd. It is one of the most popular desserts of the Maharastrian and Gujarati Cuisine. Amrakhand is another popular variation of this Shrikhand from Maharashtra. Amrakhand is just Aam plus Shrikhand and it is quite a famous dessert during the summers.With the season of mangoes coming to an end, I thought of giving this recipe a try. Amrakhand is extremely simple and easy to prepare recipe which can be made instantly if you have strained yogurt at home. The consistency of this is almost similar to what we have in mango smoothie. It is creamy, thick and utterly delicious. The smoothness of the Amrakhand will delight your taste buds. This dessert also tastes good with Pooris, just as Gujaratis love to have it.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
You need to hang your yogurt overnight.
What you need
- 2 cups Yogurt
- 1/2 tin (approx 200 gm) Condensed Milk, used Milkmaid
- 1 Mango
- A pinch of Cardamom Powder
- 8-10 Pistachios
How to make it?
- Put the yogurt in a muslin cloth and allow it to hand for overnight.
- Make sure that all the excess water from the yogurt is removed and you have hung curd. The texture must be cheesy. The strained yogurt is known as Chakka.
- Puree the mango in a blender.
- Blend the hung curd along with condensed milk and mango puree in a blender and make it smooth.
- Add chopped pistachios and cardamom powder in the mixture and serve in bowls.
- Refrigerate it and serve it chilled.
- Always use sweet mangoes like Alphonso and other varieties.
- You may even add Nutmeg (jaiphal) powder and Saffron (kesar) in this recipe.
- You may also garnish it with Chiroli nuts.
- It is prepared the best if you use Homemade yogurt.