NARKEL SHORSHE CHINGRI

The last three to four months have been tough. I have either been working on the night shift or the early morning one. I almost forgot what it feels like waking up late. Weekends are the only time when I get to laze around and do nothing. As I woke up today, I was craving for home food. With a determined mind, I went to the market to get something and cook how it is cooked at home. At first, I planned to get Mutton from the shop and cook Kosha Mangsho, but I have never cooked or even bought mutton so I thought to drop that plan. I kept looking here and there and finally spotted prawns. Chingri Maach has always been my favourite since childhood.

As soon as I reached home, I called up Dida (my grandmother).
"Dida, Chingri Maach kinlam. Ebarr??" (Dida, I got prawns, now what?)
Just like always she was my recipe diary and explained me the entire process over the phone. This is my Dida's recipe which I have been eating since I was a child. I remember her making this the last time I visited Kolkata as well. 


NARKEL SORSHE CHINGRI


Recipe:

Preparation Time: Around 30 minutes as de-veining the prawns might take up that much time. 
Cooking Time: 15 minutes

What you need


  • 250 gm Prawns
  • 1 cup Coconut Milk
  • 2 Tbsp Shredded Coconut
  • 1 Tbsp Mustard Paste 
  • 1 tsp Kalonji
  • 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
  • 2 Green Chillies, slit 
  • Salt to taste
  • Mustard Oil, as required

How to make it?

  • Clean and de-vein the prawns properly. Marinate it with turmeric powder and salt and keep aside for around 10 minutes.
  • Heat Mustard Oil in a pan. (You can use regular refined oil as well, I generally prefer the flavour of mustard oil more.) Add the Kalonji to it and let it splutter.
  • Add the prawns to it and stir fry it till it turns golden in colour.
  • To that, add the shredded coconut and stir it for a while.
  • Once the coconut is gently fried, add the coconut milk and mustard paste to it.
  • Stir it well and add the slit green chillies. Cover and cook for around 10 minutes till the gravy thickens.
  • Add a drizzle of mustard oil in the end and turn of the gas.
  • You are ready to enjoy your Narkel Sorshe Chingri with steamed rice. 
P.S:
  • My grandmother generally uses homemade coconut milk. I was too lazy so I used the ready made ones available at the stores. 
  • It is always better if you can make this recipe with slightly larger sized prawns. This is what i got here so I had to manage with this.
  • You can also use refined oil for cooking, I used mustard oil for its flavour.


Check out my snap stories!!! :D





Comments